Have a flair for fashion? Let’s start a fashion blog with me right now!
Creating a WordPress fashion blog can be a fun and rewarding experience. You can share your passion with the world with like-minded people.
But, I’ll have to be honest, it will take time and a lot of effort on the content part to make it a success.
In this article, I’ll walk you through how to start a fashion blog – from registering a domain name to designing your perfect website.
I am also going to help you monetize your fashion website.
You’ll also get pro tips on making your blog successful. We have been making successful websites for a long time now. You’ll get the best of us in this article.
So, let’s begin with the very first step!
Pick Your Niche
I know, I know. Fashion itself is a niche.
But, the fashion industry is so huge and competitive that it is very hard for new blogs to succeed in the general fashion category.
So, you’ll have to target your blog on one sub-niche first. Choosing the right niche for your fashion blog is essential for its success.
Before you choose a niche, you want to be sure that you are passionate about that niche.
Another thing to consider is the market for the niche. If you want to make money with your fashion blog, you’ll have to make sure there are people interested in your blog’s content.
The good news is that the fashion blog niche is as diverse and limitless as the latest trends in the fashion industry. For example, you can start a blog about kids’ fashion or even narrow it down to kids’ outdoor pants.
In the same way, you can choose from sustainable fashion to vintage style. So, there are endless options!
Pro tips: Ask these questions to narrow your niche down.
1. What are my interests?
2. What am I passionate about?
3. What can I write about that would be of value to my audience?
Answering these questions will help you find the perfect niche for your blog.
Choose the Right Domain Name
Now that you’ve decided on your niche, let’s talk about the domain name– the name for your website.
Pick a domain name that is easy to remember and can be branded in the future.
Here are some important tips for choosing the perfect domain name:
1. Keep it short and sweet: The shorter your domain name, the easier it will be for people to remember.
2. Make it relevant to your niche: Your domain name should give people an idea of what your blog is about.
3. Avoid using numbers and hyphens: As mentioned earlier, these can be difficult for people to remember. They also make your blog seem less credible.
4. Brainstorm with friends and family: Sometimes, it helps to get input from others when choosing a domain name.
5. Use a domain name generator: If you’re having trouble coming up with a domain name, you can take the help of domain name generators.
Now that you’ve chosen your niche and domain name, it’s time to pick the best web hosting service for your blogging website.
Select a Web Hosting Provider
Hosting is the home for your website on the Internet. Without it, you’ll have no way to upload and store files on the Internet.
You need a hosting service that can handle requests from your readers 24/7.
When it comes to choosing a web hosting service for your fashion blog, you want one that is reliable and affordable.
Some factors you should consider when choosing a web hosting service include:
1. Amount of storage space and bandwidth
2. Number of domains and subdomains you get on the package
What are the best hosting service providers for a fashion blog?
There are a lot of choices when it comes to web hosting services.
But, if you’re looking for something affordable and popular, then I would recommend these three.
They have everything that a fashion blogger needs: fast speed, great uptime, price flexibility, and great customer service.
Bluehost offers a complete package of hosting services for your needs. If you’re looking for managed WordPress hosting with daily backups, malware detection and an Edge server with SSL support, you should get Bluehost!
Kinsta is a cloud-based hosting service that is perfect for fashion bloggers. Kinsta offers managed hosting plans that are powered by the Google Cloud Platform and come with expert support and top performance.
If you don’t want to worry about hosting issues and want experts to take care of your hosting server, Kinsta is the one.
Cloudways is a managed cloud hosting platform that makes it easy for you to set up and manage your website on the cloud. Cloudways offers a variety of features, such as 1-click app installs, 24/7 support, server scaling, and more.
All in all, choose a hosting service that is reliable and suits your needs.
On your hosting platform, you should then install WordPress. Luckily, most hosting companies offer one-click WordPress installation.
Once WordPress is installed, log in to your WordPress admin dashboard.
The WordPress admin dashboard is where you post your content, tweak it, change themes, and manage everything that makes up your site.
Setup WordPress Fashion Theme and Plugins
Setting up your WordPress theme is a very important step in creating your fashion blog. The theme you choose will determine the overall look and feel of your blog.
Website speed and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) are also heavily influenced by the theme you choose. So, it’s important to choose one that is both stylish and functional.
On your WordPress admin, you can install the perfect theme for your fashion blog.
Here are some factors you should consider when choosing a WordPress theme for your fashion blog:
- The theme should be responsive– it should load well on all devices and screen sizes.
- The theme should be easy to customize so that you can change things like the colors and the fonts to match your brand.
- The theme should come with a drag-and-drop builder. You can easily create custom pages and posts with such themes.
- The theme should preferably include a portfolio template so that you can showcase your work.
- The theme should have built-in social media integration to share your content with ease.
Now that you know what to look for in a WordPress theme, let’s take a look at some of the best themes for fashion bloggers.
Blossom Fashion Pro is the perfect WordPress theme for fashion bloggers on a budget.
It is affordable, easy to use, and comes packed with premium features.
The appealing Instagram Section allows you to showcase your posts and photos in a beautiful grid layout.
Also, with a one-click demo import, you can get your site up and running in minutes.
You can also customize the colors and fonts to match your brand. The SEO-optimized codes are also a great boost for search engine visibility.
If you’re looking to make money from your fashion blog, the Adsense-optimized advertisement spots are a great way to do it. And, if you want to promote clothes and accessories from your favorite brands, you can add affiliate links with ease.
So, whether you’re someone who’s just starting out or a seasoned fashion pro, the Blossom Fashion Pro is the perfect choice for you.
Rishi Theme is a core vital optimized WordPress theme with beautifully designed templates for fashion bloggers.
Rishi Theme is so lightweight that it loads in just half a second!
The theme has 75+ pre-made templates which can be imported with a single click.
You also get unlimited color options and advanced typography options to enhance the design and branding of your fashion blogging site.
Rishi comes with an Advanced Blogging extension, which is a lifesaver for fashion bloggers. The extension helps you add powerful features to your blog without writing a single line of code: features such as disclaimer, quick summary, autoloads posts, news ticker, sticky promo, AdBlock detector, and more.
The theme is fully compatible with drag-and-drop builders like Elementor and Gutenberg. It also has a built-in header and footer builder to create a custom header and footer.
Rishi Theme also comes with Social Media Integration– which is an essential tool for fashion bloggers to increase their reach and following.
Additionally, the theme is SEO optimized keeping in mind the latest findings of search engine algorithms. This will help your site rank higher in search engine results.
You can also integrate the WooCommerce plugin to start selling products on your website.
So, get Rishi Theme without hesitation!
Chic Pro is a gorgeous, responsive WordPress theme with several unique pre-made layouts for fashion bloggers. You can easily import any of the demos with one click.
The theme features unlimited color and font options. Thus, you can easily customize the look and feel of your site.
Also, the theme follows all the SEO guidelines.
Chic Pro is also Google AdSense optimized to help you earn more money from your website.
Similarly, you can start selling products on your website with ease using the WooCommerce integration.
The theme also comes with social media integration and sticky social shares to help you increase your reach and followers.
Chic Pro fashion theme has a portfolio page template that allows you to showcase your work.
In short, Chic Pro is one of the best themes for fashion bloggers.
Now that you have selected the theme and installed it, it’s time to invest your time into enhancing the features of your website using cool plugins.
There are thousands of free and paid plugins available for WordPress. Here, we will look at a few essential plugins that will add value to your fashion blogging website.
Recommended Plugins for a Fashion Blog
AffiliateX is an advanced Amazon affiliate WordPress plugin for affiliate marketers. In simple words, it lets you promote Amazon products as an affiliate on your own website, with conversion-focused presentation layouts and CTA sections.
The plugin includes several blocks such as Product Comparison Table, Pros and Cons, Notice, Call To Action, and Button. And, these blocks come with custom designs to attract visitors.
AffiliateX is the best plugin out there to generate income through affiliation and promotion of fashion products.
PostX is an all-in-one Gutenberg Blocks Plugin that enables you to offer a faster and smoother browsing experience to your users.
PostX has everything you need to build a beautiful blog post, including an Archive Builder, Table of Contents, Progressbar, Popular Posts, Related Posts, Ajax Filter and Pagination, and Post Carousel.
Plus, every setting is easily editable in Gutenberg Post Blocks, so you can precisely get the look you want.
Rank Math is an SEO plugin to optimize the content with built-in suggestions based on widely-accepted best practices.
RankMath will help you rank your fashion blogs higher in the Google search engine.
This plugin has over 1 million users. It’s easy to use and has extensive features like Google Schema markup support.
The plugin also has an analytics dashboard that will make your life easier as a blogger!
With Contact Form 7, you can manage multiple contact forms, customize the forms, and mail contents flexibly.
The plugin supports Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering, and more.
Therefore, if you need a reliable and powerful contact form solution, Contact Form 7 is a perfect choice.
5 Must-Do Things after Installing WordPress Theme
First of all, hurray!
We’ve come a long way since you decided to start your fashion blog.
If you followed along, you’ve already created a fashion blog and added all the extensions.
Now, there are a few important things before getting into content and publishing. You need to make these basic changes to your WordPress site.
- Remove Sample Content: The first step is to get rid of all the sample content that comes with a new WordPress site. This includes posts, pages, and comments.
- Change your Permalink Structure: The next step is to change your permalink structure. By default, WordPress uses the “http://example.com/?p=123” format for permalinks, which is not very user and search engine friendly. I recommend including keywords in the URLs. You can change your site’s permalink from your WordPress admin panel. On the admin dashboard, go to Settings > Permalinks.
- Set your Time Zone: The next step is to set your time zone in WordPress. This is important because all your blog posts will be time stamped with your set time zone. You can find the option on Settings > General on your admin dashboard.
- Complete Your User Profile: The next thing you need to do is to complete your user profile. This is important because it will be used to display your author bio below each post. Go to Users> Profile to edit it.
- Add Google Analytics: Google Analytics is a free service that allows you to track the traffic to your website. I would recommend you to add Google Analytics to your fashion blog so that you can monitor your blog’s traffic and growth over time.
You can add the analytics code with a plugin.
Create a Content Strategy and Start Blogging
Now that all the technical stuff is taken care of, you can now focus on what matters most– the content.
Creating a content strategy is important for any blogger, especially for those just starting out. However, without a plan, you may find yourself struggling to come up with new content ideas on a regular basis. Here are the tips to help you get started with content planning:
- Brainstorm Content Ideas: One way to come up with ideas is to brainstorm topics you are interested in or passionate about. Once you have a list of potential topics, you can narrow them down by considering what would be most relevant to your target audience. For example, if you are starting a fashion blog, some possible topics can be “How to Dress for Your Body Type,” “Fashion Trends for Spring/Summer,” or “How to Accessorize Your Outfit.”
- Analyze Competitors: It is also important to consider what kind of content your competitors are creating. If you can see that they are successful with a certain type of content, it makes sense to try and replicate that. You may evaluate the content traffic of your rivals using the Ahrefs SEO Tool.
- Choose a content format: Once you have a list of content ideas after brainstorming and competitor analysis, the next step is to choose a content format. There are many different types of content, such as blog posts, articles, tutorials, videos, and infographics.
- Create an Editorial Calendar: After you have a good idea of the kind of content you want to create, you need to start planning it out. This means creating a schedule or editorial calendar that outlines when each piece of content will be published. For example, you might want to schedule a blog post for Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
- Start Blogging: Once you have a content plan in place, it’s time to start blogging! You can use additional tools to edit and organize your content, such as Grammarly and Google Calendar. With a good content strategy and calendar in place, you should be well on your way to a successful fashion blog.
If you’re not ready to start a blog just yet, that’s okay! You can still use your content plan to create other types of content, like articles or social media posts. Once you’re ready to take the plunge, you can come back and start blogging!
Promote Your Fashion Blog
To promote your site effectively, you must focus on ranking in search engines. But the big challenge here for new websites is Google Sandbox.
Google’s Sandbox is a technical term for how Google ranks new websites in its search engine. New sites are ranked lower than established ones for a certain time period even if they do everything right, which means they get fewer visitors and less traffic.
And while there are ways to break out of it, most people don’t even know they need to escape.
The result is that new website owners get frustrated with their low traffic levels, and fashion bloggers are no different.
So, how to escape Google Sandbox?
There are a few things you can do to help your fashion blog rank higher in Google and escape the Sandbox:
- Focus on building links with high authority content to help your site appear more trustworthy and relevant.
- Focus on SEO strategies that will help rank your website higher up on search results.
- Make sure you are actively promoting your site through social media and other channels.
Also, check out this tutorial if you want to learn more about Google Sandbox and Link Building.
If you follow these steps, you should be able to break out of the Sandbox and start getting the traffic and audience you deserve.
Monetize your Fashion Blog
The final step to starting a successful fashion blog is to monetize it. There are several ways to do this, but the most common include Google Adsense, affiliate marketing, and sponsorships.
- Monetize with Google Adsense: One of the easiest ways to monetize your fashion blog is by using Google Adsense. Google Adsense pays you if you allow ads on your website. When someone views or clicks on one of the ads, you earn money after Google takes its cut.
- Blog Shop: Another way to make money from your fashion blog is to create a blog shop. This is a store that sells products related to fashion. You can either sell your own products or affiliate products.
- Sponsorships: If you have a large following, you may be able to talk and negotiate for sponsorships with interested companies or brands. You can also use your blog to create a brand for yourself. This can be done by creating a logo, tagline, and consistent content. You can then use your blog to promote your brand through social media and other channels.
There are many different ways to monetize a fashion blog. Experiment with different methods and find the one that works best for you and your audience. Remember, you can always change your monetization method if it isn’t working out for you.
Examples of Top 5 Fashion Blogs to Inspire You in Your Fashion Journey
There are many fashion bloggers who started from nothing and have been able to reach a large audience through their content and personal style. If you’re looking to start your own fashion blog and want some inspiration, here are some fascinating fashion blogs:
TheGlamandGlitter was launched a decade ago by Tamara Kalinic with the wish to fully embrace her ever-growing audience into her fascinating journey. She has since turned her joy for fashion with TheGlamandGlitter into one of the most popular blogs of her generation. The platform has gone all the way through personalized online shopping selections made especially for each reader.
Jordan Bunker was started as a hobby by a writer and content creator with the niche of men’s wear. Since graduating he has gone on to work on a number of different projects for fashion brands ranging from consultancy to content creation. The blog is able to give an insight into menswear and personal style.
Wendy went on to work as a banker after college, and she left the job after five years. She knew she wanted to do something different without a backup strategy. She always loved fashion and launched her career as a style blogger and content creator. Today, Wendy’s LookBook is one of the top fashion blogs with a focus on high-end street style.
With a Ph.D. in fashion, Victoria is the lady behind the multi-award-winning fashion, travel and beauty blog, Inthefrow. She established Inthefrow in late 2012 during her study for Fashion Ph.D. Within its first six months, Inthefrow won the Company Magazine Best Newcomer Blog Award, and the year later, the award for Best Established Blog.
College Fashion was created by Zephyr Basine from her college dorm room in March 2007. Since then, College Fashion has grown from her personal fashion blog into a worldwide student-run online fashion magazine, written by college women from universities across the globe. At present, College Fashion has become the go-to source for college fashion.
Congratulations! You have successfully launched a fashion blog.
The fashion blogging world is a fun and fabulous place, but it’s also fiercely competitive.
Use the tips and tricks in this article to help you grow your blog and build an audience of loyal followers.
If you want your blog to be successful, you need to put in the work and give your readers what they want.